LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
Robby Gordon remains in the Dakar. Earlier reports of his withdrawal were premature. Its almost as good as winning a stage to know he's still in there.
Robby's team have stated that there is not an engine problem with the car so they will not need to replace it and therefore be forced to withdraw. There was a fuelling problem and now Robby has consulted with the ASO and under the rules he can continue with the rally even though he had to leave the stage after starting. He may incur a time penalty but given he cannot race for a position this is irrelevant. Reaching the finish and getting the chance to shine in the final stages is much more important.
According to the team, the fuel cell on the car has to dry out now but they are anticipating being able to continue in the rally in the next couple of hours.
Earlier they advised the situation as below but happily, it seems that there was a miscommunication about the nature of the problem.
1) Robby Gordon had engine issues around KM17/18 - note: You CAN'T change the engine block during the rally
2) He was headed back to support crew near the start. ( towards Antofagasta )
3) They do not know if he is officially out, but it sure doesn't look good with an engine problem.
- 17.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 17.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 17.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 15.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 15.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 13.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 13.01.2014Rest day
- 13.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 13.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 13.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 13.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 13.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 09.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 13.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 13.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 13.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 13.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 13.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 13.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 13.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 13.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 13.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 13.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 13.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 13.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 13.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 13.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 13.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 13.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 13.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014