Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
Damage discovered at the bivouac too extensive to repair.
Yesterday, BJ Baldwin brought his Chevrolet Buggy to the finish in 19th. It was clear from the tracking that he had experienced some trouble along the way. They crashed the car during the stage necessitating but did not realise the seriousness of the damage. When the car was inspected on return to the service area, it was discovered a fuelcell was damaged among other items. It was impossible to repair the car so that it could be driven safely today so it meant taking the hard decision to withdraw from the Dakar. BJ has done wonders with the car, a new design, built last year. It is unfortunate that some technical issues has prevented him from showing what he can really do. Lets not forget he has won the Baja 1.000 twice in a row, the Baja 500 and four off-road racing championships in the US.
And then there was one.
Robby Gordon is now the sole remaining Toyo Tires driver still in the 2014 Dakar. He also has an all new car this year, designed from scratch in 2013 and he also has had issues in the race so far. After his repositioning to 10th in stage 8 following his monumental queue for gas at the only fuel station in the liaison section of the special, he might reasonably have expected to get a better result in yesterday's stage 9. And so it looked right up until the last few kilometres.
All was going well until a broken radiator caused the car to overheat. Robby has suffered broken radiators before so the new car is designed to deal with this. His HST Gordini is equipped with a dual cooling system with two circuits and two radiators. After stopping to isolate the broken radiator, he was able to switch to the second radiator circuit and continue. Unfortuately, with only one radiator, he couldn't run at top speed because of the extremely high temperature. However, finishing the stage and being placed without a late arrival penalty beats being stuck in the sand and having the ignomony of waiting for the sweeper to come and find you.
Pictures in the Gallery are from today's stage 10. A report will follow when Gordon arrives to the finish. He is currently running 21st.
- 18.06.2021Toyota Gazoo Racing Festival, Presented By TOYO TIRES
- 18.06.2021TOYO TIRES Participates in the Nürburgring 24 Hours
- 18.06.2021Bryce Menzies wins 34th SCORE San Felipe 250 in Mexico
- 15.03.2016Ken Block's Gymkhana EIGHT livery presented by Toyo Tires
- 03.03.2016Ken Block's Gymkhana Eight: Ultimate Exotic Playground; DUBAI
- 17.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 17.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 17.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 15.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 15.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 13.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 13.01.2014Rest day
- 13.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 13.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 13.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 13.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 13.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 09.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 13.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 13.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 13.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 13.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 13.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 13.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 13.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 13.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 13.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 13.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 13.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 13.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 13.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 13.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 13.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 13.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 13.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014