14th for Baldwin on Stage 8
1st Chilean special goes better for Baldwin
After 522km driving to the border and across, todays stage was the first in Chile of the 2014 Dakar. The special, 302km of terrain, all of it avove 2.000m, and climbing to over 3.400 during the stage, hurts the big engines in the cars which simply cannot get enough air to mix with their fuel. However, the bikes had it harder with a route through Bolivia today that never dropped below 3.600 metres.
Today was two specials. One for the cars with a liaison in Argentina followed by their special in Chile. The motorcycles had spent last night in Bolivia and spent the morning racing around a masssive salt lake in Bolivia before a liaison in Chile to meet up with the cars at the end of their special.
Starting from 29th this morning, Baldwin quickly set about overhauling the cars ahead, having resolved the electrical problems experienced on yesterdays stage. However it was heavy going and by the halfway point, he was in 23rd having overtaken 6 cars in the stage timings. He then pulled out the stops to climb up the rankings and by the 5th waypoint he was 16th and by the 6th, he had climed to 14th. He held on to 14th until the end of the special, finishing 18 minutes 49 seconds behind Al-Attiyah who won today's special. Currently he sits in 32nd place in the general standings but this may change as other teams finish the stage.
Robby Gordon has struggled all day and at the 7th waypoint, he sits in 69th place, 1 hour and 14 minutes back from the winning time.
- 17.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 17.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 17.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 15.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 15.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 13.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 13.01.2014Rest day
- 13.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 13.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 13.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 13.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 13.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 09.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 13.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 13.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 13.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 13.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 13.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 13.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 13.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 13.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 13.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 13.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 13.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 13.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 13.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 13.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 13.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 13.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 13.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014