Gordon stopped just before stage end.
After running in 5th place through 396km of today's 9th stage of the Dakar, Robby Gordon has come to a halt with problems just 26km shy of the finish.
Robby Gordon has had loads of luck in the 2014 Dakar and without exception, it has all been bad. You know you have had a bad Dakar when the Organisers, the ASO, label you "The Comeback Kid" at 5th position. Having won nine stages outright in the Dakar, Gordon doesnt really view 5th as a 'comeback'.
Today was the day for all that to change. 57th place last night was commuted to 10th place after race officials credited Gordon with a time adjustment. Not luck as such, as it was justified by his actions in yesterday's special.
Robby and navigator, Kellon Walch started well, leaving the start of today's special in 10th place and storming up to 5th place by the 1st waypoint after just 39km of the 422km stage. A brief visit to 6th place as race leader Roma edged ahead at waypoint 4 was amended back to 5th after Sainz stopped for his own technical problems. At this point, Gordon might have been forgiven for thinking he had recieved just the tiniest piece of luck but that's unlikely. He couldnt know that the special was going to bite him later on but he was pushing to get a result on his own merit rather than anyone else's misfortune.
Baldwin, who started in 15th place has also had an up and down day. Or maybe that should be a down and up and down day having sunk to 24th place by the first waypoint, he pushed his Chevrolet Buggy up to as high as 13th place by midway through the special before problems pegged him back. He dropped from 13th to 29th but after a modest comeback of his own, finished today in 19th place having overtaken Gordon during the final section of the special. His time was 1 hour, 13 minutes and 28 seconds behind stage winner, Peterhansel who is inexorably closing down Roma at the top of the table in the general standings. After tday's win, Peterhansel sits just 12 minutes, 10 seconds behind the lead. Having made up 11 minutes and 36 seconds today, Peterhansel has turned up the wick and we shall see tomorrow if Spaniard Nani Romi is feeing the heat.
Pictures from todays stage arent in yet. We'll upload them as soon as the photographer arrives to the bivouac.
- 17.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 17.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 17.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 15.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 15.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 13.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 13.01.2014Rest day
- 13.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 13.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 13.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 13.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 13.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 09.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 13.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 13.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 13.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 13.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 13.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 13.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 13.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 13.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 13.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 13.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 13.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 13.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 13.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 13.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 13.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 13.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 13.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014