Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014
25th place in today's stage 3 was the best result possible after a trying day on the Moroccan tracks.
After the most challenging day yet in the Africa Eco race, The Opel Dakar team finished the third stage 25th overall but lucjky not to have damaged the car beyond repair. The 387Km stage was a mix of typically Moroccan tracks combined with stony ground, especially at the end of the stage where the rocks became latrger and the attrition to the cars ever more pronounced. The rocks were to be the undoing of the team as a series of damages to the tires culminated in a smashed wheel removing any hopes of a podium place.
The day had started well as, after overcoming a puncture early on, Szalay and co-driver László Bunkoczi had overhauled Jean Louis Schlesser and taken the lead both on the road and in the stage. However, a second tire damaged and some confusion about the direction led to a decision to chance very sharp rocks to head back to the course through trees. Unfortunately, the rocks were to damage a third tire and such was the impact that the wheel shattered, forcing an unprecedented third change of wheel. However, with two tires already damaged, Szalay was forced to refit a deflated tire and wheel to the car to limp the 85km to the finish.
A generoius assist from fellow driver Miklós Kovács who loaned them a spare wheel after catching up with Szalay 20km before the finish allowed the team to complete the stage without further damaging the car. They arrived at the Assa finish 1hr 52mins and 58s behind the winner Sabatier placing them 7th overall in the general standings after stage three, some 2hrs 4.48m adrift of leader Schlesser.
Stage 4 to As Sakn is 390km of fast tracks and sand. Since the stage is completely new, none of the racers with previous experience of the Afruica Eco Rally will have an advantage meaning The Opel Dakar Team will start on level terms.
- 17.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 17.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 17.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 15.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 15.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 13.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 13.01.2014Rest day
- 13.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 13.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 13.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 13.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 13.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 09.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 13.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 13.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 13.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 13.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 13.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 13.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 13.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 13.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 13.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 13.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 13.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 13.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 13.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 13.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 13.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 13.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 13.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014