Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
Opel Dakar team make momentous decision on Stage 8 of Africa Eco race.
After just a few kilometres of today's special, Szalay Balázs and László Bunkoczi, were forced to turn back and abandon stage 8. Their seriously underpowered Opel Mokka was leaking oil badly and the treacherous sand and dunes were threatening to engulf the car. With the possibility of getting stuck in deep sand and being unable to recover the car, the team had no choice but to leave the stage and return to the bivouac for repairs.
Todays route was a 421km loop from Akjoujt to Akjoujet, 337 of which were special with an 84km liaison to reach the startline. Szalay and László lined up as 23rd starter after working overnight to rectify the problems of yesterday, anxious but determined to press on with the race. However, driver and navigator both knew all was not well with the car and as the terrain got worse the team risked getting stuck and having to abandon the Africa Eco Race altogether. As the dunes rose up and threatened to engilf the underpowered car, they made the brave decision to turn back and skip the stage.
The decision has cost them the chance of a placing in the overall standings but on the plus side, they have the entire day and night to strip down the engine and try to repair the car so that they can complete the final three stages.
Szalay was sure that the problem was a leaking cylinder, causing the loss of power and the oil to be distributed where oil is not meant to be. The strip down and rebuild will reveal all. For now, we only hope the crew can ressurect the car so Szalay can show some Opel 'fireworks' in the final stages.
"Gutted" does not have an exact 1 to 1 translation into Hungarian but that is exactly how Szalay and László are feeling right now. Although they had no real choice, their good earlier results and the forthcoming sand dune stages which they both love and their car normally eats up, gave them every reason to be optimistic for the remainder of the race. Although now out of contention for overall honours, the team are hoping the Opel Mokka will be back to its dominant best to complete the two stages in Mauritania before entering Senegal on Saturday for the Finale.
- 18.06.2021Toyota Gazoo Racing Festival, Presented By TOYO TIRES
- 18.06.2021TOYO TIRES Participates in the Nürburgring 24 Hours
- 18.06.2021Bryce Menzies wins 34th SCORE San Felipe 250 in Mexico
- 15.03.2016Ken Block's Gymkhana EIGHT livery presented by Toyo Tires
- 03.03.2016Ken Block's Gymkhana Eight: Ultimate Exotic Playground; DUBAI
- 17.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 17.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 17.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 15.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 15.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 13.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 13.01.2014Rest day
- 13.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 13.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 13.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 13.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 13.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 09.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 13.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 13.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 13.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 13.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 13.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 13.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 13.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 13.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 13.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 13.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 13.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 13.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 13.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 13.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 13.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 13.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 13.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014