Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
Gordon converts his 14th place start into 3rd in today's special.
After a marathon stage, cut short by about 100km at the end for safety reasons and neutralised in the middle, creating a two part stage, Robby Gordon has put his HST Gordini on the final step of the podium. His first visit there in the 2014 Dakar.
At the first waypoint, just 46km into the stage, Gordon had catapulted himself into 7th place and by the end of the first half of today's special he was lying second. He held on to second place for much of the second half of the stage until De Villiers put his Toyota between Roma and Gordon to take 2nd. Gordon had to settle for 3rd, 20 minutes and 12 seconds behind Nani.
The Spaniard moves back into first placein the general standings after his vicory in today's special, with fellow Spaniard, Sainz, the overnight leader, having a bad day and losing just over an hour to Roma's fastest time.
With vapour locks behind him, Gordon is getting stronger and stronger as the race progresses. The new car seems to be settling nicely into its role of giant killer and the team are upbeat about the remainder of the race. Having been kicked and nearly crushed by the Dakar, the team have fought back and the mood in the camp now is, whatever the Dakar has left to throw at them, "bring it on!", they're waiting.
Gordon now sits in 11th place based on the finishers but this may change as other racers finish the stage.
Baldwin is still going and we will report his progress when we know more. After the loss of his teammate from the race due to catastrophic fire yesterday, BJ is carrying all the honour of the EV Racing team now.
- 17.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 17.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 17.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 15.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 15.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 13.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 13.01.2014Rest day
- 13.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 13.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 13.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 13.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 13.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 09.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 13.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 13.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 13.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 13.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 13.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 13.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 13.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 13.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 13.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 13.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 13.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 13.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 13.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 13.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 13.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 13.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 13.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014