BJ hanging in
BJ Baldwin had a difficult day yesterday but brought his car safely home and will be 37th starter in today's stage
BJ Baldwin, now the sole driver for the EV Racing team, had a day of two halves yesterday as we football (soccer) fans would say. Starting from 42nd place, he blasted his way to 16th in the first half of the special before the neutralised section. After starting the second part of the stage, things did not go so well and BJ arrived at the bivouac in 37th place with a time for the complete special of 7 long hours, 31 minutes and 17 seconds.
Technical problems afflicted the car in the second half of the stage where the car was subjected to high altitures and the stage time set by Balwin reflected this. His time was just over 3 hours behind Nani Roma, who won the stage on a strange day. Strange becuase many of the Dakar legends got lost and the rankings had a big shake up after a flurry of time penalties were dished out.
For BJ, a dissapointing stage after a flying start but he avoided the ignominy of having to set up camp in the Desert and he moves up in the overall classification from 46th to 37th.
In the short movie below, he talks about crashing, hopefully something he wont be doing in the next 10 days. In the light of the sudden withdrawal of teammate Chicherit, thankfully unhurt after his car caught fire and exploded, it makes interesting viewing.
- 17.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 17.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 17.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 15.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 15.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 13.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 13.01.2014Rest day
- 13.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 13.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 13.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 13.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 13.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 09.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 13.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 13.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 13.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 13.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 13.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 13.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 13.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 13.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 13.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 13.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 13.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 13.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 13.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 13.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 13.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 13.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 13.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 13.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 13.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014